cpu and cyrus

John Madden jmadden at ivytech.edu
Wed Aug 31 16:34:21 EDT 2011

>> So annoying that the stable release of debian isn't supported
>> anymore. It seems like if you wait so long to release the stable
>> version that it isn't supported anymore, it sort of defeats the
>> purpose.
>
> Debian have been staying at 2.2 rather than moving up to 2.3 through
> two stable releases now.  There is a limit to how long you can hold
> on to the past.  Cyrus 2.3.0 was released in December 2005.

There's a lesson here that I learned from the OpenLDAP folks that is
re-enforced with Cyrus (and many other packages): You can't rely on your
OS distributor beyond a certain scale.  RHEL's OpenLDAP packages are
fine a thousand objects, no good at all for a million.  Some of the
problems are too complex: imagine Debian delivering a functioning Murder
out of the box or Red Hat combining the right version of BerkeleyDB with
the right version of OpenLDAP.  No thanks.

It's well worth your time to maintain your own compiles and even
packages of Cyrus because the package maintainers can't keep up.

John

--
John Madden
Sr UNIX Systems Engineer / Office of Technology

     Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand
     the concept, you should think of Free as in 'free speech,' not
     as in 'free beer.' -- Richard Stallman