Replication question

Michael D. Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Tue Oct 19 16:55:48 EDT 2010

I have a new 2.3.16 back-end server and a replication server.  (For
those following my saga, I decided to upgrade the to-be-retired 2.2.12
rsync backup server to 2.3.16.  I did this so I could test replication.
Turns out this server was previously built with source RPMs, and the
upgrade was a breeze.  A big Thank You to Simon!)

In testing replication I discovered that partition names must match.
That is, the replication server has a single 1T default partition, while
the new back-end server has a series of .5T partitions.

As an experiment I configured the replication server thus:

partition-default: /var/spool/imap
defaultpartition: default
partition-par1: /var/spool/imap

That is, both default and par1 pointing to /var/spool/imap.  And, this
works!

Is there any reason I should not do this?

Note, this machine will be both the rsync server from the current 2.2.12
backend, and the replication server for the new 2.3.16 backend during
the transition.  Once all the mailboxes are moved to the new back end
I'll have a free machine I can upgrade (OS, disks and Cyrus) to be the
new replication server.  (As an aside, it would no doubt be more cost
effective to buy new hardware, but that's not going to happen.)

A simple question, how does guid_mode: sha1 work?  Does it need to be
set on both master and replication server, and will it, for example,
affect the unique ids returned by pop3?  We have too many pop3 users.

Mike

Michael D. Sofka               sofkam at rpi.edu
C&MT Sr. Systems Programmer,   Email, HPC, TeX, Epistemology
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.  http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/