cyradm referall 2.4.1 version

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Tue Oct 19 14:41:12 EDT 2010

On 19 Oct 2010, at 05:54, Lucas Zinato Carraro wrote:
> I have 3 Frontends in DMZ,  4 Backends in Intranet
> and a Administrative Station in other network.
>
> The administrative station, and clients stations  can not connect
> direct to backend  servers.
>
> In imapd.conf i enable the parameter:
>
> proxyd_disable_mailbox_referrals: 1
>
> With 2.3.16  dont have problem to issue commands direct in frontends
> using cyradm.
>
> cyradm --user cyrus  frontend2316
>
> info user/mailbox   - OK
> lam user/mailbox   - OK
> sam user/mailbox  - OK
> cm  user/mailbox   - OK
>
> With 2.4.X :
>
> cyradm --user cyrus  frontend241
>
> info user/mailbox   - OK
> lam user/mailbox   - OK
> sam user/mailbox  - timeout error
> cm  user/mailbox   - timeout error
>
> Without firewall ( frontend  -  firewall - backend )   :
>
> info user/mailbox   - OK
> lam user/mailbox   - OK
> sam user/mailbox  - Ask for backend  password
> cm  user/mailbox   - Ask for backend  password
>
> I keep same config between cyrus 2.4.1 and cyrus 2.3.16.
>
> Its possible to disable referall to cyradm ?

In 2.3.16, the getquotaroot command was referred if an administrator issued the command, even if mailbox referrals were disabled.  As of 2.4.0, getquotaroot is proxied if the mailbox is remote, regardless of who issues the command or whether mailbox referrals are enabled.  This is more correct, IMO.  Here's the commit:

	http://git.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd/commit/?id=9177afa1f1ab80da5334b2318e2c8f62362c361f
	http://git.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd/commit/?id=06979236d2319ad586208c554a53aed7c50dc5e5

In 2.3.16, your admin station was most like connecting directly to the appropriate backend.  I expect the behavior you're seeing in 2.4.x is related to your network configuration.  I suggest tracing the imapd on the 2.4.x frontend to see what it's doing wrong.  Perhaps it's attempting to connect from the wrong interface?

:wes