Bugzilla Cleanup - Your Help Needed and Much Appreciated!

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Tue Oct 19 04:18:28 EDT 2010

Hello there,

The Cyrus Bugzilla is a very important component for all of us, community
users and Cyrus developers alike!

I suppose most of us have, at least once or twice, logged a new report in
Bugzilla, but then what happens with that report?

From the other side, the Cyrus team sometimes doesn't sort through the series
of legacy tickets to see what (in terms of tickets) it is they are supposed to
be working on or which tickets they need to close. As a result, reports
quickly back up in the queue and are soon to be rarely paid sufficient
attention to.

Similarly, I can imagine, it must sometimes be... confusing to see a large
number of tickets still be open, or a large list of versions you never know
existed, and the version or milestone of a ticket be set to something that
doesn't really make sense.

Ergo; something needs to be cleaned up. While some things I can just go ahead
and do (after short deliberation within the Cyrus team, of course),

  *WE NEED YOUR HELP!*

Let me emphasize that point; Without your help, all I can do is close the
tickets and wait for people (probably some of you) to reopen them...

Here's some of the things I can do and have done to make it easier on all of
us;

- I've cleaned up the list of versions by accumulating versions the Cyrus team
is unlikely to pay much attention to, into series of versions. Ergo, 2.1.1
through 2.1.13 have all become one single '2.1.x' entry. Note that this
includes the 2.2 series, while 2.3 has been released ~5 years ago. Same goes
for milestones.

- I've installed the BugzillaReports extension for Mediawiki, so we can easily
create lists of bugs and share those lists. See, for example, the following
Mediawiki page;

  http://www.cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/Bugs_Resolved_in_2.4.1

You can help us make Bugzilla just a little bit more accessible!

Here's how (the contents of lists are updated instantly);

- A list of Open Bugs per legacy version has been created:

  http://www.cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/Bugzilla_Cleanup

- A description of what you can do with such reports is described here;

  http://www.cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/Bugzilla_Cleanup_Guidelines

We're talking a list of 174 bugs at the time of this writing. What we would
like to see, is have this list be smaller.

If you have any questions (like, any, whatsoever, somewhat related to Cyrus),
please feel free to drop me a line, or contact my directly in the #cyrus IRC
channel on irc.freenode.net.

Thank you, in advance or in retrospect or both, for your contribution(s),

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG