sync_client fails to exit when manual replication and rolling replication are combined (2.3.16-8)

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 16 00:48:46 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 03:42:21PM -0400, Simpson, John R wrote:
> However, if I have run sync_client manually while rolling replication is enabled the rolling replication instance will not exit.  Instead, it appears to start spawning subprocesses and throwing database errors.  The change in database errors (below) appears to coincide with the completion of "Exporting cyrus-imapd databases".  The critical DB error messages continue until sync_client is killed.

[ ... ]

> Oct 15 14:51:41 eml-store04 sync_client[25333]: DBERROR db4: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
> Oct 15 14:51:41 eml-store04 sync_client[25333]: DBERROR: critical database situation
> Oct 15 14:51:41 eml-store04 sync_client[25353]: DBERROR db4: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
> Oct 15 14:51:41 eml-store04 sync_client[25353]: DBERROR: critical database situation
> ... continue until sync_client is killed ...

Nothing magic about sync_client itself here - it's something with the hand
run sync_client and attaching/detaching from the environment.  This has
been on the TODO list at FastMail for a while - and your information may
actually help us narrow down the cause.  We don't use BDB, but the log
messages annoy us too!

Regards,

Bron.