messages in mailbox aren't visible

Michael D. Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Tue Oct 12 11:46:19 EDT 2010

Is the new server part of a murder cluster?  I've had this happen when
transferring accounts between back-end servers in a cluster.  The
problem was that while the mailbox was created on the new back-end, not
all the messages transferred.  As a result, the mailbox still existed on
the old back-end.

Shuffling the messages around with scp, running reconstruct and then
ctl_mboxlist -ma on the back-ends fixed the problem.  (run ctl_mbox -maw
first, to see what it would do.)

This happened with Draft folders that had exceptionally large messages.
  And it was between 2.2.12 back-end servers, not to a 2.3.16 server.
(The only way the messages could have gotten into Drafts was via an IMAP
client.  They were much larger than the maximum message size the SMTP
servers would have accepted.)

Mike