service imap pid nnn in BUSY state: terminated abnormally

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 8 16:47:04 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 02:40:01PM -0400, Michael D. Sofka wrote:
> But, when I try to move it back to the 2.2.12 back-end the same error
> message.
>
> Is this a cyrus version incompatibility?  That is, are the moves
> one-way, at least when using xfer?

Gosh yes.  The mailbox internal format has been upgraded.  XFER is
a "dumb copy" - the files themselves are transferred across.  There's
no way to downgrade a mailbox again.

I don't think there ever will be, unless you decided that the wire
format is always the oldest possible and converted the cyrus.index
file back to that format before transfer.

The new replication format that I've put into effect for cyrus 2.4
could probably be used to move mailboxes to earlier versions of
Cyrus since it only transfers minimal information across the network
and forces the other end to recreate the index record - but it would
have to be backported to 2.2 and 2.3 (and installed on all your
servers) to make it work.  Basically you can't retrofit forwards
compatibility to an already existing install.

So yeah - no copy back.  At least not if the cyrus.index file
format has changed.

Bron.