IMAP not seeing old mail present on filesystem

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 4 11:36:15 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 11:17:59AM -0400, Chris Pepper wrote:
> On 10/4/10 10:23 AM, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> > I wasn't clear about whether the old install was completely gone or
> > could still be booted.  If you can still start cyrus on the old server,
> > you could try imapsync to transfer mail to the new one.
>
> 	Old system is not bootable, unfortunately.
>
> 	FYI: I have 943 directories & 298,409 mail files,
> so manually fixing things isn't feasible.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, of course not.  It there were 5 directories and 20 mail
files I wouldn't consider doing it manually - I'd write a script
to automate it and then sit back and drink coffee.  Manually is
how you do the first one to find out how it's done.

And then the second one to make sure the process you settled on
after stack of trial and error is repeatable.  Maybe a third one
if you screwed up number 2.

After that, you automate the process you've decided on and let
the rest happen automatically.  It always amazes me to see
admins repeating themselves manually over and over for a
frequent task.

I'd love to see the output of your reconstruct command (including
syslog with the logging level turned up) to see why it's not
finding the files.  And maybe an 'ls -la' of one of the imap
directories with this issue as well.  I'm away on a "team building"
exercise for the next couple of days Oslo time - but I can certainly
look at it afterwards.  I've been travelling (from Australia) which
is why I haven't been looking in on this earlier... it's a strange
set of symptoms.

If you have a small folder that you don't mind sharing, a tar.gz of
the entire folder contents (including the metadata files) would be
fantastic, because then I could check the contents of the .index
and .cache files as well - and maybe even try a reconstruct on a
testbed here.

But file permissions are the most interesting - I'm wondering if
reconstruct is unable to read the directory correctly or unable
to read the old files.

Bron.