Removing a mailbox with a very long name

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 24 18:01:29 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 04:13:11PM +0100, Michael Menge wrote:
> >We're running Cyrus 2.3.13.

Any reason why so old?  There were some fixes for this shipped
more in the later 2.3 series releases, because we had the same
issue at FastMail!

> Do you use delete_mode: delayed ?
> this will rename the folder to $DELETEPREFIX.$OLDNAME.$TIMESTAMP
> which would result in a longer Name.
>
> You can try to rename it to a shorter name and
> deleting the renamed folder?

That's what I was going to say!  That's how we wound up dealing
with the worst offenders.

If you live anywhere near the Apple campus you could go over and
have a few choice words with thier mail client developers too...

FYI: more recent Cyrus rejects the creation of any mailbox with
INBOX.INBOX (any case) in the internal name (so user.foo.Inbox is
still fine, but user.foo.Inbox.Inbox is not)

> An other ideas is to remove the mailboxname from the mailbox.db and
> deleting it on the filesystem.
>
> Use on your own risk
> cyr_dbtool $configdirectory/mailboxes.db skiplist delete
> user.abc20.INBOX......

Yep!  That will definitely work.

Bron.