disable IMAP IDLE

Robert Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 23 17:28:44 EST 2010

> I was asked by IT to not permit IDLE since the current server went down
> after 4-500 blackberries ate up all the (limited) capabilities of that
> machine.

I'd really be surprised if that was a problem these days. We have
machines that have 10000 connections quite fine. Yes they're fairly
loaded servers with fast IO and lots of RAM, but even a pretty basic
server should handle 500 connections no problem.

Have you actually tested that long lived IDLE connections are a problem?

Rob