disable IMAP IDLE

Ron Vachiyer proutfoo at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 23 09:15:08 EST 2010

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:57:52 -0400
From: boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
To: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: disable IMAP IDLE

On 11/23/2010 08:52 AM, Ron Vachiyer wrote:
>  >From how I understand the RFC, if no IMAP IDLE capability is
> advertised, the client should not attempt to use it and should close the
> TCP socket after every operation. Backberry connections to courier-imap
> and dovecot will not maintain a TCP session, they seem to when Cyrus is
> the IMAP server.

Is your server advertising IDLE ?

telnet to port 143 and issue this command:

. CAPABILITY

Hello,

No it isn't, I had already checked and strangely it is not....which is really surprising me that the sessions remain;

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN SASL-IR] node1 Cyrus IMAP v2.4.4-Kolab-2.4.4-1 server ready
. CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN SASL-IR ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY CATENATE CONDSTORE ESEARCH SORT SORT=MODSEQ THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE LIST-EXTENDED WITHIN QRESYNC SCAN XLIST URLAUTH URLAUTH=BINARY X-NETSCAPE COMPRESS=DEFLATE
. OK Completed

I might try and recompile using --with-idle=no and see if sessions stay open.

R.