Running multiple sync_clients

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 19 16:31:02 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:33:44PM -0500, Michael D. Sofka wrote:
> I also noticed that when the child process dies, it tends to take out
> the parent.  Shouldn't the parent catch the error and fork another
> child?  This has so far only happened twice, and in both cases appears
> to be associated with xfering accounts from 2.2.12 to 2.3.16.  In at
> least one of the cases there was a back-end directory that has been
> deleted by the most recent rsync, prior to migration.  A reconstruct
> fixed everything.

The parent only forks another child if the connection dropped or the
remote end sent a [RESTART] - otherwise it drops out to avoid
hammering over and over with something it doesn't know how to fix.

My medium term plan is to either have master or another "angel"
process keep an eye on sync_client processes and be able to restart
them and clean up old logs!

Bron.