Odd problem: IMAP/S suddenly not working, but no errors, and IMAP still works

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Mon Nov 1 11:21:39 EDT 2010

> On 11/1/10 10:46 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
>>> Bron,
>>>
>>> 	My Cyrus is from RPM, and I am just nursing it along until my users
>>> finish migrating off and FastMail manages to complete my own migration,
>>> so I don't want to build from source. Why would IMAP/S block on empty
>>> /dev/random, while IMAP+STARTTLS works? FWIW, SASL2 seems to use
>>> urandom.
>>
>> If this is really stock CentOS 5 then I think everything Cyrus related
>> should use /dev/urandom and not /dev/random. But, could it be that other
>> software you installed uses /dev/random and makes it "empty"?
>
> 	Most things are CentOS RPMs (thanks for those! ;), with a few from
> RPMforge.
>
>> [root at inspector ~]# rpm -q cyrus-imapd amavisd-new clamav spamassassin
>> postfix httpd mod_ssl
>> cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-7.el5_4.3
>> amavisd-new-2.6.4-3.el5.rf
>> clamav-0.96.4-1.el5.rf
>> spamassassin-3.3.1-3.el5.rf
>> postfix-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2
>> httpd-2.2.3-43.el5.centos.3
>> mod_ssl-2.2.3-43.el5.centos.3
>
> 	Which still leaves me thinking my port 993 problem isn't entropy, because
> STARTTLS works fine.

That's my impression from the beginning, because lack of entropy has not
been a known problem on the RHEL/CentOS configs. That's not much help of
course.

If you already restarted master and you know it's not stuck somehow, then
the only thing I could think to check is your
/var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db database. I don't know if a broken TLS db
could result in what you see but better check it out.

Simon