Live backup

Zachariah Mully zmully at smartbrief.com
Wed Jun 16 09:32:10 EDT 2010

On 06/16/2010 05:45 AM, Roland Baum wrote:
> For non-HA situations, you can do a 2-stage rsync-backup once a day:
>
> 1 ) copy all cyrus-folders (/var/spool/cyrus, /var/lib/cyrus etc) via rsync to
> a backup-folder
> 2 a) shutdown cyrus
> 2 b) rsync the same folders to complete the snapshot
> 2 c) restart cyrus
>

> This is a feasible solution with a small downtime (a few seconds), without
> using murder or lvm-based volumes or something else.
>
> If you want, I can send my backup-script for this.

Just curious if you've got duplicate suppression on in your Cyrus
instance as this has given us headaches when attempting to use rsync -H.
Rsync usually blows up every couple of minutes because of the overhead
of managing the hardlinks (we're still on etch x64 with 2.6.9, so maybe
it's been corrected in later versions).