Cyrus backend crashing (Solaris)

David Mayo D.J.Mayo at bath.ac.uk
Mon Jul 19 12:04:18 EDT 2010

We are running a Cyrus Murder with one proxy/MUPDATE master and one
backend server which uses Cyrus Replication to replicate onto another
host. All hosts are running Cyrus imapd 2.3.13 on Solaris 10 Update 7.

Since moving all our mailboxes to the backend server in March we have
seen 4 crashes on the backend server where it has refused to accept new
LMTP connections[1] and, although the logs show it is accepting IMAP
connections, no clients can get any response to the IMAP server. There
don't appear to be any suspicious logs leading upto the event on the
proxy server and nothing at all on the backend server.

When trying to diagnose the issue, on any attempt to run ps, prstat or
to HUP the syslogd process (to set the log level for imapd to "debug")
the command hangs and cannot be exited with Ctrl+C. Similarly, attempts
to kill the master process or shut down the system (even bypassing the
shutdown scripts by using "reboot") do not have any effect other than
hanging the shell in which the commands were issued. New shells can be
opened and certain commands run, but we aren't much closer to knowing
precisely what is wrong. The only way to bring the system back is to
reset it via the on board console.

My suspicion is somehow the behaviour in Cyrus is tickling a Solaris
bug, but I wanted to check with other Cyrus admins to see if they have
seen similar behaviour and had tracked it down to anything in particular.

Regards,

Dave.

David Mayo
Networks/Systems Administrator
University of Bath Computing Services, UK

[1]
imapd.log:
Jul  8 11:04:51 tyrrell-z1.bath.ac.uk lmtpunix[984]: [ID 130975
mail.error] connect(sauber.bath.ac.uk) failed: Connection timed out

exim log:
2010-07-08 11:04:51 1OWnyD-0000Fo-Ic == XXXXX at bath.ac.uk R=imap
T=cyrus_lmtp defer (-46): LMTP error after end of data: 451 4.4.3 Remote
server unavailable