Backup strategy for large mailbox stores

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Tue Feb 16 03:49:07 EST 2010

On Tue, February 16, 2010 12:34 am, John Madden wrote:
> Out of curiousity, how good is zfs with full fs scans when running in
> the 100-million file count range?  What do you see in terms of aggregate
> MB/s throughput?

ZFS is awesome.

We have a ZFS pool composed of nine LUNs on an iSCSI-connected (2 x 1 Gbps)
EMC Celerra. All disks are 7200 rpm S-ATA.

On our previous storage system (FC-AL connected StorageTek with 15k and 10k
rpm FC disks) I was able to run more finds/dumps/... in parallel without
impacting mail service performance or message delivery rate.

Even now I can pull close to 100 MB/s from the mail section of the storage
subsystem without users noticing.   48 GB RAM on the mailserver sure helps,
plenty of ARC :-)

Eric.