Stuck mailboxes.db entries with mbtype=2

David Mayo D.J.Mayo at bath.ac.uk
Wed Aug 25 08:52:10 EDT 2010

Hi Michael,

On 24/08/10 16:21, Michael Bacon wrote:

> Do to an error I made in migrating a file system during some system work,
> we ended up with our configdirectory with permissions that the cyrus user
> couldn't write to on a few of our back-end servers.  Amazingly, we were
> about 90% functional during this time, but several mailboxes that got
> created during that time ended up with some decidedly messed-up
> characteristics.
>
> Most we've been able to fix with reconstruct, but we're stuck with a few
> hundred mailboxes where the backend created the mailbox on disk, registered
> it with the MUPDATE server, but left it in "reserved" state in the local
> (backend) mailboxes.db with mbtype=2.  This means that it shows up in a
> LIST or LSUB with the \NoSelect flag, and the users can't do anything with
> it, including delete it.

You should be able to correct this by running "ctl_mboxlist -ma" on the
back-end server. I would advise using the -w switch at first to see what
it would do.

If the mailboxes are missing on the filesystem, you can fix that by
creating the path to the mailbox on the filesystem and running the
reconstruct command:

mkdir `mbpath user.brokenmailbox`; reconstruct user.brokenmailbox

Regards,

Dave.

David Mayo
Networks/Systems Administrator
University of Bath Computing Services, UK