imtest issue

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Aug 18 16:32:11 EDT 2010

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Mike Eggleston wrote:

> Afternoon,
>
> I had another incident where I again need to reset the \Seen flags for
> several users. I'm trying to use imtest(8) and having issues. When I
> execute 'imtest -u $USER -a cyrus localhost' I can authenticate just fine
> using the cyrus account password as I expect. Reading the man page for
> imtest(8) after login I'm supposed to become $USER. I expect to be able
> to issue a '01 select INBOX.$folder', but I get an error. I can issue
> '01 select user.$USER.$FOLDER' just fine, but this implies I'm still
> cyrus and not $USER.
>
> When I issue the next command '02 uid store 1:* +flags \Seen', this works,
> but it only works for the user that I am. Since the command '01 select
> user.$USER.$FOLDER' works, then I'm setting the \Seen flag for cyrus
> and not the \Seen flag for $USER.
>
> What am I doing wrong that I'm not becoming $USER when I execute from
> the command line 'imtest -u $USER -a cyrus localhost'?

Are you using a SASL mech that supports proxy auth?  The imtest manpage
says:

        -u userid
               Userid  to  use  for authorization; defaults to the current
user.  This is the userid whose identity will be assumed
               after authentication.  NOTE: This is only used with SASL
mechanisms that allow proxying (e.g. PLAIN, DIGEST-MD5).

 	Andy