Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Oct 27 08:58:36 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 08:18 +0100, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> Citeren David Lang <david.lang at digitalinsight.com>:
> > what do you consider a 'modern IMAP client' that is actually reasonably
> > efficiant to use?
> I can't help you answer that question.  But I can share my setup.

I use Evolution on my laptop,  I don't know if it is "efficient" but it
works for online/offline very well [and with "Copy folder content
locally for offline operations" I can search mail - and attachments -
along with all other documents -  with Beagle].  I'm a big fan.

> I'm using the offlineimap client so sync my IMAP (Cyrus of course)
> accounts (2 in fact).

My server is, of course, Cyrus.  While I don't use fetchmail to
aggregate mail currently I have in the past and don't see anything
unreasonable about doing so.  Sometimes arraigning for inbound SMTP is
either not feasible or just expensive.

> I then use mutt to read the maildir.
> This way I use a normal IMAP client when I'm online (or have a fast
> connection).  When I'm offline or on 3G (or worse) I use the
> offlineimap tool to sync my mailbox now and then.

Yep, I used fetchmail to pull mail into a Cyrus server on a network that
only had Inet connectivity over a cell connection [that required a 30ft.
tower and high-gain antenna in order to get even that].

> To me using offlineimap to sync my mailbox I much faster than doing
> IMAP over slow links.  It also gives me a backup of my mailbox very
> easily.

I'm thinking about using imapsync for a backup solution.  I've moved by
Cyrus server to a hosted VM at linnode and I'm currently just rsync'ing
to a local physcial box for backup.  But that kind of stinks.