Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 27 07:30:12 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 08:18:17AM +0100, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> Citeren David Lang <david.lang at digitalinsight.com>:
>
> > what do you consider a 'modern IMAP client' that is actually reasonably
> > efficiant to use?
>
> I can't help you answer that question.  But I can share my setup.
>
> I'm using the offlineimap client so sync my IMAP (Cyrus of course)
> accounts (2 in fact).
>
> I then use mutt to read the maildir.

Heh.  You are me.

> This way I use a normal IMAP client when I'm online (or have a fast
> connection).  When I'm offline or on 3G (or worse) I use the
> offlineimap tool to sync my mailbox now and then.

I use mutt and offlineimap or the FastMail web interface.  I don't tend
to bother with a separate IMAP client - just run offlineimap and then
use mutt.

> To me using offlineimap to sync my mailbox I much faster than doing
> IMAP over slow links.  It also gives me a backup of my mailbox very
> easily.

Offlineimap is slow too - it syncs all the flags and internaldates on
every message, every time.

You might want this patch:

http://github.com/brong/brong-offlineimap/commit/7846ab83c5c45911749ab1cb42569702363a619b

You'll need a pretty current Cyrus of course, but then you get
COMPRESS=DEFLATE support built in to offlineimap.  I find about
80% bandwidth savings when there are few actual changes on a big
account.

Bron.