avelsieve problem switching mail servers

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Nov 5 01:51:20 EST 2009

>>> old
>>>    cyrus-admin-2.2                   2.2.13-13
>>>    avelsieve                         1.9.7-2
>>> new
>>>    cyrus-admin-2.2                     2.2.13-14+lenny3
>>>    avelsieve                           1.9.7-6+lenny1
>>>
>>> avelsieve does not appear to use Net_Sieve.
>>
>> Which version of PHP do you have on old and new?
>>
>> Simon
>>

> Well, this is interesting.
>
> old:
> montoya:~# dpkg -l |grep php
> ii  libapache-mod-php4                6:4.4.4-9+lenny1
> server-side, HTML-embedded scripting languag
> ii  libapache2-mod-php5               5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny2
> server-side, HTML-embedded scripting languag
> ii  libphp-phpmailer                  1.73-6                     full
> featured email transfer class for PHP
> ii  libphp-snoopy                     1.2.4-1                    Snoopy
> is a PHP class that simulates a web b
> ii  php4-common                       6:4.4.4-9+lenny1           Common
> files for packages built from the php
> ii  php4-ldap                         6:4.4.4-9+lenny1           LDAP
> module for php4
> ii  php5                              5.2.4-2
> server-side, HTML-embedded scripting languag
> ii  php5-common                       5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny2      Common
> files for packages built from the php
> ii  php5-gd                           5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny2      GD
> module for php5
> ii  php5-ldap                         5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny2      LDAP
> module for php5
> ii  php5-mysql                        5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny2      MySQL
> module for php5
>

> new:
> ella:~# dpkg -l |grep php
> ii  libapache2-mod-php5                 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3
> server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (Apache 2 module
> ii  php5-common                         5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3
> Common files for packages built from the php5 source
> ii  php5-ldap                           5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3      LDAP
> module for php5
>
> I'm not sure how to figure out which php packages avelsieve was actually
> using. There is no executable to check libraries, and there is not a
> version of php listed in dependencies for the package.

I'm afraid I can't help you much with the debian specific things, I have
no idea how debian handles such parallel installs of multiple PHP
versions.

What I know is that there is a difference when using avelsieve with PHP4
or 5 concerning STARTTLS. With PHP4, no STARTTLS is used, while with PHP5
it is used - and I think that's where changes were made in avelsieve-1.9.8
so you can configure what to do with STARTTLS when using PHP5.

Now, if you have everything installed from debian packages, I think it
should work an if it doesn't, you may contact the package maintainers
about it. We don't know which patches have been included in your avelsieve
package.

Regards,
Simon