Question about CYRUS-IMAP and FETCH BODY[]

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Thu Mar 19 13:48:25 EDT 2009

-- Paulino Calderon <paulino.calderon at gmail.com> is rumored to have mumbled
on 19. März 2009 11:40:53 -0600 regarding Re: Question about CYRUS-IMAP
and FETCH BODY[]:

>>> As you can see, the connection is being established succesfully but our
>>> program ( it was running OK for almost 2 years btw ) is sending a:
>>>
>>> IMAP<SEQ #> FETCH <MSG #> BODY[1]
>>
>> actually that's not true. It's sending a *UID* FETCH, which is
>> something quite different.
>>
>>> And the server is only responding:
>>> IMAP<SEQ #> Ok Completed (0.000 sec)
>>
>> That's quite correct if no message with UID 2 exists ... you've given
>> no indication that it *does* exist.
> Umm, well after a:
> IMAP<SEQ #> SELECT INBOX
> The server is responding:
> http://calder0n.com/cyrus-imap-selectinbox-response.png

So? I still see no evidence that a message with *UID* 2 exists. The
response only shows that a message with *sequence number* 2 exists! That's
why I said that the actual command is quite different from what you claimed
it was. This command will give you a response whenever there are at least
two messages:

10 FETCH 2 BODY[1]

This command won't give you a response even if there are 100,000 messages
in the mailbox if none of them has UID 2:

10 UID FETCH 2 BODY[1]
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK)