'PLAIN encryption needed to use mechanism' error

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Jul 29 05:09:02 EDT 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: 'PLAIN encryption needed to use mechanism' error
From: Dan White <dwhite at olp.net>
To: Blake Hudson <blake at ispn.net>
Cc: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:01:19 AM

> However, on an older server, I *do* have the -p option specified for
> my imap sessions, probably because I ran into a similar situation as
> you, but I was too lazy dig in to the real issue. That server is
> running 2.3.10, and has this configuration (i don't use pop3 on this
> server):
Seems like it might be worth trying out a newer version. This is mainly
academic, as was mentioned earlier users can still issue the traditional
user/pass commands to long - and any pop3 client should support this
method. The problems I'm seeing are likely with a few bad clients
(thunderbird) that get the mechlist once and never forget it (until
restarted) - even after making server settings changes.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if the new version resolves the
problem once I get a chance to try it out.

-Blake