'PLAIN encryption needed to use mechanism' error

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Jul 29 04:49:19 EDT 2009

> Agreed. A possible work around until you figure out the issue would be
> to add '-p 256' within cyrus.conf, for your pop3 entry (see man pop3d).
>
> That would emulate a sasl security layer of 256 bits, and would be
> treated as if you had connected via SSL when you hadn't.
>
> - Dan

That does indeed resolve the issue, so do you think this is a Cyrus SASL
problem or a Cyrus IMAP (POP) problem?

Also, do you have the same -p option specified? I'm wondering if others
are experiencing the same problem - all of our servers are on the same
version of cyrus 2.3.7 (from RHEL) or older and seem to exhibit the same
behavior.

--Blake