Set Folder Permissions

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Jul 17 06:43:08 EDT 2009

--On 17 July 2009 11:52:44 +0200 ml ml <mliebherr99 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> i have about 10 Users that access IMPA Mailboxes. Unfortunatelly they
> keep deleting, moving and renameing folders by accident. Is there a
> way to not allow the users to do this with the imap folders?

Yes, there is. But, it's probably better to train them to use it properly,
and make sure you can do restores when necessary. You should also take a
look at the client software that they're using to see whether that's
causing a problem.

We have 15,000 users, and perhaps two or three restore requests a week. At
that rate, you'd be seeing a request every five or ten years.

Anyway, if your users really are too dumb to learn (tell me that's 10 users
out of hundreds, not 10 out of 10!), then you can set fine grained
permissions on mailboxes using cyradm, using 'lam' and 'sam'. Read the man
page for cyradm. <http://linux.die.net/man/1/cyradm>

Or, create a service description that gives you - say - a week to handle a
restore request. That'll learn 'em.

> Thanks,
> mario
> ----