squatter exits with "fatal error: Virtual memory exhausted" on huge mailbox

Pascal Gienger Pascal.Gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Mon Jul 13 08:53:31 EDT 2009

Sebastian Hagedorn schrieb:
>>> fatal error: Virtual memory exhausted

> Of course it's possible that it then tried to allocate one huge chunk,
> but I can't see that. Are there better tools to monitor the memory
> allocation of a process?

Swap file/partition full?
Background:
I think the message "Virtual memory exhausted" is coming from your
operating system and not from the squatter process.

Squatter would have been said

   switch (err) {
   case SQUAT_ERR_OUT_OF_MEMORY:
     fprintf(stderr, "SQUAT: Out of memory (%s)\n", s);
     break;

So I think it is a Virtual Memory/Swap problem in your OS.

--
Pascal Gienger
University of Konstanz, IT Services Department ("Rechenzentrum")