Cyrus Imap final setup problems

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Jul 8 13:18:28 EDT 2009

Nybbles2Byte wrote:
> However, it stopped receiving messages after two tests and looking at
> the logs it said it was at it's quota limit so I went back to cyradm
> to set the quota (I didn't bother the first time so it was at zero)
> and I got a "quota permission denied" error. This was from the same
> admin, I created the user with and it showed that the admin had all
> rights.
>
> I then used the admin to create another user and immediately tried to
> set the quota of that new user and got the same permission denied
> error. I could however remove the user that I could no set the quota for.

Below, you've specified 'altnamespace: 1'. When connecting via an admin
user, altnamespace is ignored, which may complicate what you're
expecting to see.

Also, you've specified 'autocreatequota: 5', which limits the user to
5KBs of space.

What do your cyradm createmailbox and setquota commands look like?

You have 'virtdomains: on'. Personally, I prefer configuring
'virtdomains: userid'. 'doc/install-virtdomains.html' within the source
documents the difference. It might matter when connecting as an admin
user (without specifying a domain name).

> That is my first problem but I have two other as follow:
>
> Sieve is not working when I try to telnet to it and I get this error:
>
> neutrino:~ # telnet mydomain.com sieve
> Trying nnn.nn.nn.nn...
> telnet: connect to address nnn.nn.nn.nn: Connection refused

Your sieve entry in cyrus.conf looks correct. Verify that the service is
running with 'fuser 2000/tcp' or 'netstat -an | grep LISTEN | grep
2000'. If not, there should be something in syslog about why it couldn't
start. Locate where your cyrus binaries are installed (/usr/sbin ?) and
verify there's a timesieved binary located there.

Also, stop cyrus, and make sure something else isn't already listening
on port 2000, like inetd or xinetd.

If it is starting, but crashing somewhere, you can use the debug_command
(in imapd.conf) to trouble shoot. See:

https://langhorst.com/cgi-bin/dwww//usr/share/doc/cyrus21-common/README.Debian.debug.gz

for some usage scenarios.
> The last thing is I am getting a "badlogin" error in my cyrus log as
> you can see below:
>
> Jul  8 08:12:00 neutrino SeoWS/imap[20686]: badlogin: localhost
> [127.0.0.1] CRAM-MD5 [SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in database]
> Jul  8 08:12:00 neutrino SeoWS/imap[20694]: sql auxprop plugin using
> mysql engine
> Jul  8 08:12:03 neutrino SeoWS/imap[20686]: sql plugin Parse the
> username reg

I don't know what that could be.

- Dan