Doing Cyrus *right* for a large installation

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Mon Jan 19 13:26:51 EST 2009

On 18 Jan 2009, at 14:58, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> I can't find any info about the unified on the wiki/site.  I once did
> read about it.  In the docs I can't find a definition of the unified
> setup.

 From imapd.conf man page:

        mupdate_config: standard
             The configuration of the mupdate servers  in  the
Cyrus  Murder.
             The "standard" config is one in which there are discreet
frontend
             (proxy) and backend servers.  The  "unified"  config
is  one  in
             which  a  server can be both a frontend and backend.
The "repli-
             cated" config is one in which multiple backend servers
all  share
             the  same mailspool, but each have their own
"replicated" copy of
             mailboxes.db.

             Allowed values: standard, unified, replicated

I'm not sure what I'd add to this description, other than the
assertions I've made about the relative stability of the various
components.

> Btw has anybody migrated a normal setup to a murder setup?
> Can it easily be done?  E.g. stop, edit configs, start.  More or
> less :)

What's a "normal setup"?

:wes