Replication rolling or cron?

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Tue Feb 24 02:39:55 EST 2009

Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:21:38PM -0500, Wesley Craig wrote:
>> On 20 Feb 2009, at 12:00, Shelley Waltz wrote:
>>> I can get things working with a reboot, however, this is disruptive.
>>> Question is - should I abandon rolling and just force a replication
>>> via a
>>> cron job every 10 min?  I have low volume and only 200 accounts.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a monitoring script or a script to run sync_client
>>> by cron?
>> Running sync_client out of cyrus.conf is a mistake.  It can be
>> started stand-alone, and that's the best way to do it.  If it dies,
>> review why it died, fix whatever problems the review reveals, and
>> restart just sync_client.  Rolling replication is better than simply
>> running sync_client from cron.
>
> We should probably document that...

Aha! We are tricked!

install-replication.html:

Add a line similar to the following in the STARTUP section of cyrus.conf:
  syncclient       cmd="/usr/cyrus/bin/sync_client -r"

I thought I was a regular reader of the mailing list but I sure missed
this one, bet there are a bunch of people running rolling replication
out of cyrus.conf.

That said, it's been working just fine...

Cheers,

--
per