imp webmail, cyrus imap and virus filtering

Ian Batten ian.batten at uk.fujitsu.com
Fri Feb 20 12:31:02 EST 2009

On 20 Feb 09, at 1727, andreas moroder wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we have a imp/postfix/cyrus system. The mail that goes out and comes
> in
> from/to our system via smtp is checked by trendmicros virus wall.
>
> The problem is mail that remains in our mailsystem and is accessed via
> imap from imp. Viruswall has no way to check this mail.
>
> Is it possible to write a sieve filter to start a virusscan on this
> mail
> ( by scanning the specific file in the users mail directory ? ) every
> time a mail is created or read via imap ?

You need to integrate virus scanning into your postfix environment.
Mail sent between users of your IMP environment presumably is handed
off to postfix and thence to lmtpd or deliver, and if your virus
scanning were performed there you'd be sorted.  If your virus scanning
is instead an SMTP relay outside your internal system then you have a
problem.

We use clamav-milter alongside every sendmail instance and therefore
scan every piece of mail at every point of handling.

ian