Security risk of POP3 & IMAP protocols

Vincent Fox vbfox at ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 13 12:46:26 EST 2009

David Lang wrote:

> the flip side of the complience issue is that it's a LOT easier to control
> retention policies (including backups) on a central server than on everybody's
> individual desktops/laptops.
>
> as for the concerns about laxer data security in other juristictions, that's
> something that needs to be addressed when you outsource your mail (via contract
> with whoever you are having host your mail for you)

I worked at one organization that supported ONLY POP3.
No IMAP was offered.  Each client was configured to download
all messages and not leave a copy on the server.  This was
a policy that the University group I worked with that time
used for FOIA avoidance.  Want to see somebody's email
well you'll have to go see that individual.