IMAP Date-Time format for Append

Mark Stover stovenator at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:14:22 EDT 2008

Hello,

We are running Cyrus IMAP 2.3.7 from the Centos RPM cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-2.el5
. We are doing some testing with a client that is sending an APPEND command
with the format:

APPEND "user.testuser.Folder" () "Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:13:13 GMT" {358}

The response from the Cyrus IMAP server is:

BAD Invalid date-time in Append command

We're pretty sure this is related to the timezone being represented as a
short name, as opposed to in numeric format (+0400, etc.). The IMAP spec is
vague on whether or not this format should be accepted. I believe that this
has to do with the way the function from the C Library converts the string,
but am not sure.

Is this a function of this RPM version? Is the client out of spec with the
RFC? Could recompiling this from source with a different C Library fix this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark