Cyrus Imap Benchmark

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Mon Sep 15 03:21:12 EDT 2008

Hi faris,

--On 14. September 2008 22:00:32 -0700 faris <farislinux at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a special requirement and need to benchmark cyrus imap with 100K
> mailboxes having sasld with mysql authentication. the benchmark will be
> writing mails with 400KB size attachement to all 100K mailboxes, while
> reading all the 100k mailboxes simultanously,

do you *really* expect 100k concurrent IMAP connections??

> each mailbox have 10MB
> quota allocated.
> Following is the configuration of the server which i am planning to use
> for the loadtest.
> Server Conf: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.80GHz X 4, 4GB ram
> OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.22-4
> cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-1.1.el5
> pam_mysql-0.7-0.4.rc1.el5.2
> MySQL-server-4.0.24-0
> postfix-2.3.11-1.rhel5
>
> Can anybody tell me what is a maximum amount of mailboxes cyrus-imapd
> supports?

Do you mean mailboxes or accounts? We have around 50,000 users with 105,000
mailboxes on a single server. There is no real maximum, AFAIK.

> also is it possbile for me to go upto 200K mailboxes in a
> single node ?

Certainly. The issue isn't the number of mailboxes, it's the number of
connections. We currently don't have more than 1,200 of those at a time. I
don't think you could get anywhere near 100,000 on a single server.
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK