"Trash"-mailboxes with separate quota

Simon Liebold simon at localhorst.com
Fri Nov 28 08:33:15 EST 2008

Hi all,

there exists this problem that a user cannot delete mails from an
over-quota mailbox because their client tries to copy the files into a
trash-folder first instead of removing the file right away.

One of the solutions is to set up a separate quota on users
trash-mailbox to stop users from complaining "Help, I cannot delete my
mail...".

The simple script on
http://www.formfall.de/~sliebold/keep/fixtrashquota.pl
searches for all mailboxes matching "user.*.Trash" (like used by
Squirrelmail) and sets the quota to 25MB (if called like
"fixtrashquota.pl -a"). Just edit the authentication credentials and
make shure to set 700-rights.

After that users have to purge the trash from time to time.

Maybe someone finds this script useful. Please let me know if you find
major flaws in it because I am really no Perl-wizard.

Brgds,
Simon