Backscatter solutions

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Tue May 13 12:59:40 EDT 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 6:15 AM, Joseph Brennan wrote:
> Forget SPF.  Why should any system accept mail for an unknown
> recipient
> and then mail a bounce?  That's the primary cause of backscatter.
> These
> systems are just as likely to accept the message, then check SPF, and
> mail a bounce :-)

There are a number of different systems that try to be smart about
when to send back a bounce message.  Pretty much every MLM besides
Mailman includes logic attempting to return valid syntax errors to
senders, but avoid backscattering people.   SPF is obviously part of
that equation.

And it does help fairly significantly in practice.  We have some wide
open/non-filtered mailboxes that we are required to run.
Implementing SPF on those mailboxes reduced our backscatter by about
24% instantly, which was just under 500 messages a day.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness