Backscatter solutions

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu May 8 16:58:59 EDT 2008

Hi,

as every MTA-Software uses other Templates for these kind of bounces, there
is not "one" header you can use for this kind of filtering.

We use the vbounce rule from spamassassin, which adds *BOUNCE_MESSAGE
entries to the header X-Spam-Status to filter these kind of backscatter.

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/VBounceRuleset

Quoting Marc Grober <marc at interak.com>:

> I am getting pounded by backscatter as a result of one of my addresses
> being used by some major spammers. Are there any solutions available to
> address all the Delivery failure and bounce notices.  I would at least
> like to be able to sort between such responses from mail I am actually
> sending and the backscatter. I have looked through headers and nothing
> seems an obvious candidate.

M.Menge                                 Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universitaet Tuebingen                  Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Waechterstrasse 76
72074 Tuebingen