Cyrus Murder or IMAP proxy.

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Mon Jul 28 09:14:21 EDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, UnlimitedMail.net - Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó wrote:

> Then, for a production system, should I use an IMAP proxy solution instead of
> Cyrus Murder?
> Is there anyone using Cyrus Murder in a hevay loaded production e-mail system?
>
> May you recomend me an IMAP proxy?
> What I'm losing if I use an IMAP proxy instead of Cyrus Murder?

Cyrus Murder gives you the ability to share folders across backends.
In other words, if Alice has a mailbox on imap-1.example.com and Bob
has a mailbox on imap-2.example.com, they _can_ share folders if you
run Cyrus Murder, but they _can't_ if you use multiple backends with a
proxy.

Unless you have a serious need for mailbox sharing, Murder isn't worth
it, IMHO.  It takes a LOT of hardware to be really fault-tolerant, and
has all of the other caveats you posted.

Perdition is the IMAP proxy usually used for this application.

Another possibility is running multiple IMAP servers connected to
common storage -- i.e., a SAN.  Then users can share mailboxes, since
every user is on every server, but you don't introduce the complexity
of Murder.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University