Partitioning advice

Andre Nathan andre at digirati.com.br
Thu Jan 24 07:21:20 EST 2008

Hello

I'm planning for a new Cyrus install, for which I'll use a multiple
partitioning scheme. The idea so far is to have a partion for /
and /var/lib/imap (call it the metadata partition), and multiple
partitions for the spool data. The idea is to improve I/O by having
the /var/lib/imap data on a separate partition.

However, I've just read that Cyrus 2.3.x is able to store the spool
metadata on diffent partitions. Would it be an advantage to use that
feature too, storing these metadata on the metadata partition, together
with the /var/lib/imap stuff, or would I only see an improvement if the
spool metadata is on yet another partition?

Any other advice on partitioning strategies is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Andre