R: R: Error creating mailboxex with an "&" inside

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Feb 5 12:44:42 EST 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Toschi Pietro wrote:

> Test result: failed.
>
> Even if testsaslauthd -u test\&-test at domain.com -p <password> results in
> an 0: OK "Success." response, and the mailbox really exists on IMAP
> server, I can't successfully login using IMAP clients to the IMAP
> server.
>
> Maybe some issues related to the way that cyrus and sasl communicate

You may run into problems using non-standard characters when you attempt
to deliver mail also.  RFC 2822 allows almost all ASCII characters in the
local-part of an email address, but anything more complicated than
[A-Za-z0-9._%+-] requires using a quoted-string.

Unless you have a good reason to use unusual characters in a top-level
user mailbox, it is best to avoid them.

Check out:

   http://www.regular-expressions.info/email.html

for a short discussion of this.