Cyrus vs Dovecot

Pascal Gienger Pascal.Gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Aug 12 10:00:53 EDT 2008

Mathieu Kretchner <mathieu.kretchner at sophia.inria.fr> wrote:

> Ok thanks ! A good point on the cyrus side !
>
> What about the performance ?

Depends on which size your scenario will be.

> Does my next configuration will run correctly ? Which hardware should I
> buy for this activity ?

That's like asking a crystal sphere whether the woman you love is the right
one to marry... How many users did use your old server? How many incoming
messages per second? How much storage was used? How many clients did
connect simulteanously to your old Cyrus server?

> At present, we have a lot of I/O, we wonder if the last version of cyrus
> is improved for this point ?

We stored (before using graylisting) 30 messages/sec via Cyrus on two
mirrored SAN volumes. 1200 imapd are running on peak times. No murder. 8 TB
storage; 2TB used. 58,000 mailboxes; 12,000 users.

20 GB RAM, 14 GB ARC (zfs cache). SAN via Sun MPxIO (scsi_vhci).

You see, without knowing the size of your old Cyrus solution it is not
possible to say whether it is "enough" or not.