cyr_expire -E ?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Apr 19 08:23:16 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:19:40AM +0100, David Carter wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, David R Bosso wrote:
>
> > I don't specify a -X, I just want to prune the duplicate db.  What am I
> > doing wrong?
>
>   -X expunge-days
>     Expunge  previously  deleted  messages  older  than expunge-days
>     (when using the "delayed"  expunge  mode).   The  default  is  0
>     (zero) days, which will expunge all previously deleted messages.
>
> Try -X <large number>. cyr_expire is a bit overloaded.

That's something from upstream rather than from the FastMail patches.

I can see that it's unwanted behaviour, but by the same token I
accept the logic behind it:

a) don't break current installations (you can't require a -X
   parameter)
b) have as similar behaviour to the current as possible (never
   deleting mail by default would fill up people's drives with
   deleted spams, besides which the performance hit would suck
   over time, having those huge cyrus.expunge files sitting
   around)
c) there is no (c)
d) oh yeah, adding a "cyr_expire_expunge_default_keep_forever = yes"
   flag to cyrus.index is ugly and extra complex and not that much
   different from -X $INTMAX anyway.

Or something like that,

Bron.