Problem with export db at shutdown

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Tue Sep 25 14:53:20 EDT 2007

> Quoting stitch at power.ms:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Cause of a longtime power failure i had to shutdown our mail server.
>> During
>> "service cyrus-imapd stop"
>>  the system hangs at exporting the database
>> soi had to reset the system.
>>
>> After reboot i did "ctl_cyrusdb -r" as user cyrus.
>> DB recoverd sucessfully
>>
>> for tests i restart cyrus-imapd, and also hanging , see ps fax:
>>
>> 5567 ?        S      0:00 /bin/sh /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cvt_cyrusdb_all
>> export
>> 5625 ?        D      1:09 /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cvt_cyrusdb
>> /var/lib/imap/deliver.db berkeley /var/lib/imap/deliver.db.skiplist
>> skiplist
>>
>> 5625 is dead and server hangs
>>
>> DO anybody know a solution ?
>>

> Hi
>

> 5625 is not Dead but in state of uninterruptible sleep, usually
> waiting for IO.
> cvt_cyrusdb is used to change the databaseformat of a cyrusdatabase
> from one format to another. In your case the deliver.db is changed
> from berkeley to skiplist. This should only be nesseary if you changed
> your databaseformat in /etc/imapd.conf. I don't know the script
> /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cvt_cyrusdb_all but i think it called cvt_cyrusdb
> . Is it part of you start procedure?

cvt_cyrusdb_all is part of the start/stop procedure in my rpms (and those
based on them) which makes sure that all cyrus databases are always in a
portable state (which means skiplist) after shutdown to prevent all those
problems when doing things like a distribution upgrade (Just remember all
those people having problems with wrong BDB versions).
Now, some of the older versions of the script did have bugs and I have no
idea which version we are talking about here.

A quick tip: if it's only hanging with deliver.db, one could simply wipe
it and start with a new one. It's not really that important, isn't it?

Simon