Collaboration replacement via Toltec/Bynari (was How many people to admin a Cyrus system?)

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Thu Nov 15 07:05:43 EST 2007

Hi Ian,

> > In IMAP this gets a bit blurred as the INBOX is also
> > the mechanism for receiving new mail.
>
> No, an INBOX is simply a mailbox. It's a place that you can deliver email
> to, and read email from. With the right delivery agent, it's possible to
> deliver email to any mailbox, so there's nothing particularly special
> about the INBOX except that it's the default mailbox.

Yes it is a mailbox and there for part of the mail store. It is also part of
the transport mechanism, when the mail is received. So it has a dual
functionality.

I define transport of mail as both the sending and receiving of mail.

> So, now we have to say "In POP3 this gets a bit blurred as the Outlook
> inbox is also a mechanism for receiving new mail". Heck, wherever you
> read the email, it got delivered there by some means.

Yes, but crucially the mail passes through the new mail mechanism of Outlook
before being delivered.

Best Regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC