Fatal error: failed to mmap cache file

Ian P. Christian pookey at pookey.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 12:12:44 EST 2007

Andrew Morgan wrote:
> Well clearly there isn't enough memory available to mmap a file that
> large...  :)

Thanks ;)

> I'm more curious why that cyrus.cache file is so large.  6600 emails is
> not an unusually large amount to have in a mailbox.  For example, I have
> a mailbox with 1739 messages in it, and the cyrus.cache file is only 1.6
> MB. Maybe the cyrus.cache file is corrupted or retaining old cache
> entries? It should be safe to delete that file and reconstruct the
> mailbox, because no additional information is stored in the cache file
> which is not already present in the message files.

I too thought it was odd, nearly 50% of the size of the mailbox was the
cache file itself.  I did try what you suggested, and unfortunately the
problem remained (atleast... I *think* I tried it...)

However... I've now fixed the problem

Turned out 95% of the mail in there was caused by a mail loop, and was
NDRs.  A quick grep and rm later, and I was down to a small mailbox,
which when reconstructed then went back to working.

I think somewhere along the lines I might have found a bug... but I
can't prove it :)

Thanks for your time Andrew

--
Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk