expunging deleted messages?

mikee mikee at mikee.ath.cx
Fri Jun 29 17:03:36 EDT 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Simon Matter might have said:

> >> deleted.
> >> day.
> >>
> >> What you get, if run this manually:
> >> sudo su - cyrus
> >> bin/cyr_expire -v -E 3 -X 3
> >> bin/cyrdump -v $your_mailbox | grep '<flag'
> >> ?
> >>
> >> Also, try to increase verbosity of log files (syslog.conf).
> >
> > I can't change anything about the daemons yet, this is a production box.
> >
> > [cyrus@$HOST ~]$ time cyr_expire -v -E 3 -X 3
>
> How I understand it, cyr_expire -X 3 physically removes mail from the
> server which already have been deleted and expunged by the mail client 3
> or more days ago. It does not expunge for you, you have to do it with the
> IMAP client. It simply makes it possible to unexpunge mails on the server
> which already have been completely removed from the clients side of view.
>
> Simon

I think I want the other half of the operation. When my users (and me in case
I forget to expunge) delete messages (marking the messages with the \Delete
flag), I want something that will run through all the mailboxes looking for
messages that are \Delete'd and over N days old. When this commands finds
a message matching the two conditions I want that message physically
purged from the system.

Mike