Rw: DBERROR "strange character": db4

Arnau Bria arnau at emergetux.net
Thu Jun 14 08:43:37 EDT 2007

HI,

first of all, apologies for breaking the threat, but I did not receive
my question.

Second, I have solved my problem, but I've lost all my mail, and I have
a question about what has happenend.

Third, list archieve does not work. I tried to contact webmaster, but
got no response.

Let's go with my explanation:

Here's what I have done:
I ignored strange character in error message and looked for similar
errors in gentoo forums and google, found many:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-482191-highlight-dberror.html
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-499634-highlight-dberror.html

My first try was recovering /var/imap/db/* so I did:
db4.3_recover log.0000000005

which said something about ignoring that log and looked for
log.00000006 which did not exist, so I exited.

When I saw I could not recover (or I did not know how) my db, I decided
to delete all db:
  687  rm /var/imap/*.db
  688  rm /var/imap/db*/*

And restart cyrus. Fianlly, cyrus started fine.
So, and here comes my error, I flushed my postfix queue (postqueue -f)
and all mails were recieved by cyrus, but when I tried to recover my
mail with MUA (sylpheed) I got a "Unable to locate maildrop:
Mailbox does not exist" or something similar...

So, I start playing with imtest and checked if my user was correctly
created etc...

imtest -m login -a arnau localhost

C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE STARTTLS LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPE
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN arnau {8}
S: + go ahead
C:
S: L01 OK User logged in
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 0

And I, wrongly, assumed that my user was fine...

After a little playing with cyradm, I decided to delete my mailbox and
create it again:
cyradm -user cyrus localhost
lm
dm
cm ...

And here is when I deleted all my mail, deleting/creating my user. (I
suppose).

What I don't understand is why my old users was not able to receive my
mail at MUA level, and why postfix was able to dleiver mail to a user
that has no mailbox (or that is what cyrus says).

I don't remember previous lm output, but I prettty sure I created my
user with "cm arnau" (checking my notes) and now, I had to create my
user like "cm user.arnau", why?

Anyone knows why happens this with a simple update? I did not see any
update notes in elog (package log saved by emerge)

Many thanks in advance,
--
Arnau Bria
http://blog.emergetux.net