Safely moving mailboxes on a live server

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Thu Jan 25 15:35:51 EST 2007

Is there any way to move a mailbox to another partition on a live cyrus
server without interfering with the users' activities?  I performed some
testing where I connected to the imap port, issued a few commands, then
as the cyrus admin user issued the command "rename --partition test2
user.test user.test" in cyradm.  The next imap command I gave it gave
the error "Message 1 no longer exists".  After disconnecting and
reconnecting to the imap port the message was again available.  Is this
just an unavoidable issue?  This is cyrus 2.2.12 under RHEL4.

a002 select INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)]
* 1 EXISTS
* 1 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 1]
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1169753773]
* OK [UIDNEXT 2]
a002 OK [READ-WRITE] Completed
a003 fetch 1:* flags
* 1 FETCH (FLAGS (\Recent))
a003 OK Completed (0.000 sec)
a004 fetch 1:* body
* 1 FETCH (BODY ("TEXT" "PLAIN" ("CHARSET" "us-ascii") NIL NIL "7BIT" 6
1))
a004 OK Completed (0.000 sec)
a005 fetch 1:* body[TEXT]
* OK Message 1 no longer exists
* 1 FETCH (FLAGS (\Recent \Seen) BODY[TEXT] "")
a005 OK Completed (0.000 sec)

Thanks,

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III