SMS - notification

Simon Matter simon.matter at
Thu Sep 7 04:35:40 EDT 2006

> Hello List, Hello to all,
> my question is simple as written in $SUBJECT$. ;-) I found non-working
> sending notifications via SMS.
> Im using
> cyrus-imapd-2.3.7   The cyrus mail server, supporting POP3 and IMAP4
> protocols
> on FreeBSD 6.0 and my customers much more often cry: "why your services
> are not enriched with SMS notification feature ???" :-)

My RedHat/Fedora RPMs include an SMS notification patch which can be used
with Squirrelmail / AvelSieve. Of course you need some external tool to
actually send the SMS. See the README.notify_sms below and attached patch.

This package contains a notify_sms patch. It enables you to implement
SMS notifications using sieve scripts.

The following changes to the cyrus-imapd config files are needed:

in /etc/cyrus.conf, enable notifyd like this:
notify cmd="notifyd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/notify" proto="udp"

in /etc/imapd.conf, enable sieve notifier like this:
sievenotifier: sms
sendsms: /usr/bin/mysmsprog     [default: /usr/bin/sendsms]

The sendsms program is called with the following parameters:

where <options> usually includes the destination number.

A sample /usr/bin/sendsms script for testing is shown below:
  echo "args" "$*"
} >> /tmp/sendsms