LMTP in Cyrus 2.1.15 Refuses connections

Crockett Howard crockett at ti.com
Fri Sep 1 15:36:49 EDT 2006

For the past two months we have been seeing intermittent problems in
which LMTP suddenly begins to refuse connections. What appears to happen
is that a condition occurs and lmtp becomes unresponsive.  Subsequent
lmtp processes are spawned until the maxchild limit is reached.  At that
point all the child processes are unresponsive and email is not
delivered.  Recycling master resolves the issue.

*** lmtp configuration ***

lmtpunix  cmd="lmtpd" listen="/usr/local/cyrus/socket/lmtp" prefork=1
maxchild=100

We have been running Cyrus 2.1.15 for the past three years using LMTP
with no problems.  However, as noted above we began seeing this issue in
the past two months.  No changes have been made to the systems.

Has anyone seen a problem similar to this?

Thanks
Crockett Howard