no global admin with virtual domains? [was Re: saslpasswd and virtual domains]

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Wed May 17 08:09:18 EDT 2006

former03 | Baltasar Cevc wrote:
> Hi Rudy,
>
> On 17.05.2006, at 10:29, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
>
>> former03 | Baltasar Cevc wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Rudy,

>>> I just had a look at my config - I've set servername and
>>> defaultdomain to the same value ('jura') - maybe you can try if that
>>> helps. Another thing you could try would be to use the fqdn instead
>>> of the short hostname - maybe Cyrus does a reverse lookup on the IP
>>> (there are some functions that will do that).
>>

>> I can't change servername to jura because our users will connect to
>> 'mail.ugent.be' and 'mail.ugent.be' is a round robin DNS to our imap
>> proxy servers (e.g. jura.ugent.be, ...).
>> And these proxy server will forward requests to the correct imap
>> backend (e.g. mail1.ugent.be, mail2.ugent.be, ...)
>
> What I wanted to suggest is to replace the "servername" value in
> imapd.conf (with the 'side effect' of having that name shown when
> connecting to that server).
>
> Or would it be possible to change the default domain in your setup to
> the same value as servername.
>
> If I rembember correctly, the only setup where I got the admin thing
> really working was when I had both variables set to the same value;
> however, I'm quite sure it's a knowledge problem and there is some nicer
> solution (anybody out on the list who could give a hint?).

I now changed defaultdomain and servername to mail1 and added a
cyrus at mail1 user to the sasldb2 file. imapd.conf has the following:

jura:/mail/mail1/etc# cyradm --user cyrus at mail1 mail1.ugent.be
Password:
mail1.ugent.be> lm
user/fiebel at test.ugent.be (\HasNoChildren)
user/foo.bar at mail.ugent.be (\HasNoChildren)
user/foo.fafa at mail.ugent.be (\HasNoChildren)
user/rudy.gevaert at mail.ugent.be (\HasNoChildren)
user/testuser2 at mail.ugent.be (\HasNoChildren)
mail1.ugent.be> cm user/fabel at test.ugent.be
mail1.ugent.be> lm
user/fabel at test.ugent.be (\HasNoChildren)
user/fiebel at test.ugent.be (\HasNoChildren)
user/foo.bar at mail.ugent.be (\HasNoChildren)
user/foo.fafa at mail.ugent.be (\HasNoChildren)
user/rudy.gevaert at mail.ugent.be (\HasNoChildren)
user/testuser2 at mail.ugent.be (\HasNoChildren)
mail1.ugent.be> quit

As you can see I can now login :) and create mailboxes.  So I guess I'm
logged in as the global admin! Hurah!

Not setting defaultdomain and it doesn't work.  So I guess they both
have to be set.

I am not sure how this will now work together with ssl certificates.
Als users will be connecting to mail.ugent.be and in the end will end up
  on mail1.ugent.be or mail2.ugent.be or mail3.ugent.be
But there is a proxy in between so maybe this will be fix that problem.

Thank you for your help!  An other problem that is fixed.  Up to the
next one :)

Rudy Gevaert                             e-mail: Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Directie ICT, Afdeling Infrastructuur
Groep Systemen                                      tel: +32 9 264 4734
Universiteit Gent / Ghent University                fax: +32 9 264 4994
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be